Portsmouth City Golf Course
The 350 acres comprising Great Salterns Estate were acquired by the Corporation of Portsmouth in 1920, and since then a great deal of work has been done in adapting the site as a centre for various sports.
The raising of the surface of a large part of the Estate, extensive drainage and the formation of roads, have greatly improved a piece of land with unlimited possibilities for its present purpose.
The northern part of the Estate lent itself particularly to the formation of a golf course, and more than 100 acres have been devoted to its construction. When it is stated that the design of the course and supervision of the making of it were entrusted to the eminent architect, Mr. H.S.Colt, it will be realised that full advantage has been taken of the natural facilities of the site.
Beautiful pastureland, varied by copses and the stream which runs right across the course, provide a terrain at once spacious, of good golf quality and charming to the eye. If the flatness of the site was considered a defect, this was full remedied by a well-considered system of bunkers.
The course was opened on the 14th July 1926, by the then Mayor of Portsmouth, Councillor Frank J.Privett J.P., and thus had plenty of time for the settling-down process which all new courses must undergo. The turf being of excellent quality, and all the necessary drainage being efficiently performed, the course was not long in acquiring good playing form, and at the present time constitutes an asset of which Portsmouth may well be proud.
It is a full 18-hole course, over 6000 yards in length, and in the adjacent general sports ground there are a putting course and 9-hole miniature course.
The Club House
The purchase of Great Salterns Estate included the mansion which adjoins the course, and part of it has been well adapted for use as a club house. It is fully licensed and full catering facilities are available.
The Professional, George West, gives expert tuition, and at his shop near the course all necessary equipment may be purchased. Caddies are available.
This course, known officially as Portsmouth City Golf Course, is distant about 2 1/2 miles from Cosham, Fratton or Portsmouth railway stations. It is also accessible by bus along Tangier Road, or by the “Copnor Road” buses to Burrfields Road. Added to this is the comparatively recently constructed thoroughfare known as the Eastern Road, which provides a ready approach for cars from all parts of the city, including Southsea. In the near future this road will be continued through to the Havant Road At convenient hours special buses run direct to the golf course.